[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Tuesday, December 13, 2005


Bah's sister and one of her twin two year-old daughters whose names I can't remember (and to be honest, was never quite able to pronounce correctly) ... They are bathing outside, which people do sometimes, although not necessarily naked. You can bathe while wearing one of those wraps I have on above (called a "patung") and just try to be really coordinated. I opted for the indoor shower, which was also a well of cool water that you splash over you.

You see those giant earthenware pots or whatever they are called (urns? no that doesn't sound right) all over Thailand -- in Bangkok and in the countryside -- outside of people's homes. They use them to store rain water to bathe in or to save up for times of drought (apparently it happens a lot). They are also prime breeding ground for the mosquito larvae that carry dengue fever -- I'm so thrilled I know that now! But if you sprinkle it with some special kind of sand or buy little fishies, no problem-o. Did I ever tell you about the time I followed a bunch of insectiside-spraying government officials around a Bangkok elementary school as they fumigated away? It was gross -- the photographer and I were dizzy for the rest of the day.

Anyway, what I was most fascinated by in Bah's household was how little they used resources at hand and they are, from what I understand, a relatively well-to-do family who own some nice cars and have a big rubber tree plantation with plenty of workers. No air-conditioning -- the house is open in the front and back during the day and you can have a fan at night if you really need it. Very little running water -- you bathe with rainwater or do the bucket wash indoors which uses little water as well (actually I'm not sure where that water comes from). Of course, there's the big television that sucks up power like the rest of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home