[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Sunday, July 30, 2006


Here we have the temple of Lolei, also part of the Roluos group. Actually this is just one of its four towers. Lolei is small but pretty with lots of sandstone carvings ... it's grounds are not so jungly because it shares acreage with a present-day Buddhist temple and monastary, and there is a village nearby full of people who stop by to pay homage to Hinduism and Buddhism even though I guess they are Buddhist on paper. Wait until you see exactly how they "pay homage" -- scroll down for more! Lolei was built at the end of the ninth century and it's pretty intact. My guide Chiev says that's because it's built of brick and people were more careful back in the old days instead of the 12th century when it was all about "quantity, not quality."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home