[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Sunday, July 30, 2006


There is an operating "modern" Buddhist temple sharing the grounds with the ancient Hindu one (modern as in it's probably several hundred years old). This is a photo of a couple of teenaged monks hanging out. Many people in Cambodia can't afford to send their kids to school -- if there even is an operating school in their area -- so boys can enroll into a monastary and get an education that way. Our guide Chiev did that and was a monk until his mid-twenties. He can read Pali, a 2,000 year old script used in Buddhism and he speaks really good English as well. The girls, of course, don't get the same opportunity. They can always become prostitutes or quietly starve to death I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home