[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Sunday, July 30, 2006


This is a crappy photo but it's a good example of how Jayavarman the Seventh combined elements of both Buddhism and Hinduism in his many temples. This is a statue that is part Naga, part Garuda. The Garuda is this scary-looking man-bird that the Hindu god Vishnu rides around on (the Hindu gods are pretty lazy and are always riding around on some bizarre animal). The Naga is this many-headed serpent in Hindu mythology that was the sworn enemy of the Garuda. The Naga took on special significance, however, in Buddhism, because it is believed that a Naga became a disciple of Buddha and died for him (it's a long story that I have a shaky grasp of so I won't share). Here we see a creature that is part-Naga, part Garuda (the bird-looking thing in the middle ... around it are fanning the heads of the Naga). It's like the Naga is hugging the Garuda! Awww I guess the Khmer Empire was a regular Religious Love Fest back in the 12th century!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home