[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Sunday, July 30, 2006


Throughout the Angkor temples you see lots of these lovely dancing ladies, called Apsaras. In Hindu mythology they are celestial dancing nymphs ... again, Jayavarman the Seventh was a big ol' Buddhist but he was also intent on giving props to Hinduism ... in many reliefs in the temples he built you see little Apsaras flying about Buddha (or what remain of the Buddhas after the next king defaced them all) celebrating him. Above the dancing apsaras in this photo (they are above a doorway) you can see the empty spaces that used to house little sitting Buddhas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home