[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Wednesday, August 02, 2006


Here is the gate to Bayon up close. Beyond it is Bayon itself, which is decorated by 200 of these giant, sleepy looking faces, spread across the temple's 54 towers. There are four faces per tower, looking in each of the four cardinal directions, so you know NOTHING gets past these guys. The faces are, according to my handy dandy guidebook, supposed to be the face of a certain bodhisattva -- a kind of Buddhist angel who comes to earth to help us out -- named "Avalokitesvara." (The name we chose for our first child, by coincidence.) But the faces are ALSO supposed to remind people of the omnipresence of the king!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home