[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Tuesday, August 15, 2006


So Angkor Wat, including its Western Gate, has "Apsaras" aka Hindu celestial dancing nymphs galore! And unlike other temples -- Hindu and Buddhist because you know a little ole thing like a change in religion didn't stop these ladies -- Angkor Wat features them in twos and threes, wearing lots of jewelry and make up (okay maybe just the jewelry) and no two alike, supposedly, although I wasn't THAT much of a nerd to test the theory. Also, the artists made a special effort to make them as sassy -- or "coquettish" as my 1920s guidebook puts it -- as possible; or, to put it another way, they tried to make them look like big ho's. You know this because they are all facing front, says my guidebook and Chiev, meaning in Megan-speak that their giant boobies are popping out all 3-D everywhere you turn. No who ever said religious temple hunting wasn't any fun?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home