[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Behind the green plastic facade. This is a construction site that I pass by every day, manned by migrant workers who are most likely from the North East, a particularly poor, drought-ridden part of Thailand. These northeasterners along with migrants from Burma go from construction site to construction site in Thailand (and there are plenty) with extended family in tow and set up makeshift homes, like the snazzy corrugated metal shack thing-y above. A couple of weeks ago I passed by in the evening and a pick up truck with about 15 very sleepy men, women and children crammed into the back was parked outside this site. Tied down onto the roof was an impossibly high pile of furniture, household items and televisions, a la Grapes of Wrath (well minus the TV). I guess they had done what they came to do and now there's a new group doing their thing. Are you getting the sense yet that I never have any idea what's going on in this country?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home