[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Sunday, July 30, 2006


Sanctuary tower and grazing moo cow on Bakong's grounds. From my very limited and vague understanding, these towers, which you find in various forms throughout all of Angkor's temples and palaces were places for monks (Hindu or Buddhist) to sit and meditate. Okay some of them might have been used to bury people's ashes, I am hazy on which are what. However, these towers are almost always orientated to the EAST because East is victory and West is death ... in other words, armies always left cities by the East gates so that they would be victorious in battle. Dead bodies and funerial processions leave by the West gate. Our bed at the bed and breakfast faced towards the east (our feet pointed east) because it's bad luck vice versa. Then you are just plain dead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home