[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Monday, July 31, 2006


This is a common sight in Angkor, the Naga as balustrade. According to my super handy, super free guide book from the library, in Hindu mythology the naga is "a semi-divine being and a serpent-god of the waters who lives in the underworld beneath the earth or in the water." They usually have one long body and many heads, like this one! The Khmer people claim their ancestry from the union of a human and the daughter of a naga king. I think the naga genes have been mostly watered down by this point, at least in the Cambodia people I've met. For example, many of them only have one head. Beyond you can see Bakong's moat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home