[sic]

"I would to Heaven that I were so much Clay-- ...Because at least the past were past away-- And for the future--(but I write this reeling Having got drunk exceedingly to day So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling) I say--the future is a serious matter-- And so--for Godsake--Hock and Soda water." --Lord Byron

Thursday, December 01, 2005


Me n' Nancy in India Town. We were the only women there that night, it was weird. At first I thought we were breaking some kind of Dewalii taboo -- there were literally thousands and thousands of men everywhere and no women. So I asked Zac and it turns out they were all recent Bengali migrant workers who live in construction camps on the other side of town and come here without wives or girlfriends etc. The original Indian immigrants came from Southern India as workers under the Brits and spoke Tamil, so that's the lingua franca of India Town. (I want to stress I am doing this all from memory, not notes, so take it with a grain of salt.) But these guys speak Bengali, so I wonder if that will change, the way fewer and fewer people in NYC's Chinatown speak Cantonese because all the new migrants are from Fujian Province (so they speak "Fukkinese" I'm not kidding, that's what people in NYC's Chinatown call it). Okay I'm rambling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home